[Borgbackup] "borg check" without reading every byte

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Sun Dec 18 10:18:05 EST 2016

On 17.12.2016 21:08, John Goerzen wrote:
> So I did an experiment:
>
> rm data/21/219999
> borg check -v --archives-only
>
> This did not flag any errors.  Now it's possible that the segment I
> deleted was not holding metadata, and therefore never visited.  However,
> I find it odd that it didn't at least notice it was missing.  It would
> be nice to check that without reading every single bit of data to
> recheck CRCs, I guess.

That's kinda expected, since the repository check and the archives check
work on different layers... one could implement a 'shallow' repository
check like you say, but it begs the question whether that's really a
useful thing to have; corruption of the data itself is more likely and
the transaction logic ensures (on typical hardware, anyway) that the
trailing end of the repository is intact (this is checked on every
access of the repository).

Cheers, Marian