[Borgbackup] What don't you like about Borg?

jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:44:54 EDT 2016

On 20 October 2016 at 08:06, Antoine Beaupré <anarcat at debian.org> wrote:
> I recently did consulting for a community group here and couldn't
> honestly recommend using Borg because they would not be autonomous in
> restoring their backups, because they are not familiar with the command
> line. I am also worried about long-term stability for them and they
> needed low-cost offsite backups (that means not having to manage a
> server). Another example: in my previous job, config files, snapshot
> support and API stability would have been the issues.
>
> I still use borg for my personal use, but it would be great to push it
> forward to a greater public. I know this is a huge commitment and that
> brings a lot of support requests and further issues, but I believe the
> benefits are worth it. I wish I would have the feeling I could
> contribute to this within the borg project, but my efforts, so far, have
> been mostly met with refusal.

As far as I'm concerned the greater public now means people who do
their computing on tablets and smart phones. Borg would never work on
those devices.

I don't think borg is to blame for the lack of integration to services
like dropbx, jungle disk, amazon s3, backblaze, of which the greater
public is likely only familiar with dropbox. Why would those companies
want someone else's code running on their infrastructure? It's nice
that rsync.net offers a service with borg, but what version is it? How
fast will they update it to get latest features and important bug
fixes? I had jungledisk for about three years and the client was never
once updated; I think towards the end of the service I had with them
they were updating their website to support stronger TLS ciphers and
then were going to roll out a new client. The greater public doesn't
care about that.

If we're assuming the greater public are folks who use computers and
laptops, you're right, they probably won't want command line stuff and
to setup things with cronjobs. But again, they don't care what the app
is as long as it helps them feel their backups are safe. They likely
won't care about encrypted backups and strong ciphers. They'll likely
chose a backup plan that has the best prices on black Friday, and they
may not even renew the following year.

That said, I look forward to the improvements that come to borg!

--
-------
inum: 883510009027723
sip: jungleboogie at sip2sip.info