[Borgbackup] Wish: option, that don't create an archive, if nothing has changed

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Jun 14 12:45:36 EDT 2016

Hi Hans-Peter,

> I've successfully moved from rdiff-backup to borg with great success.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

> One
> feature of rdiff-backup, I like very much: don't create an archive, if nothing
> has changed. Of course, this has to be an dedicated create option.
>
> Why: I'm backung up a lot of VMs, that only used occasionally. It's nice to
> see the real repo state, that is the last time, a machine from that repo has
> run.

This is actually hard to do for borg, due to the way it works:

- it only does one pass (so it won't know beforehands whatever files
there will come)

- it always does full backups (plus dedup of data and metadata), it is
not an incremental backup scheme. So, there is always something to
backup, it might just result in almost 100% of it getting deduplicated.

I am currently working on a versions view for FUSE (borg mount), that
might come in handy to find out when some specific file has changed.

Cheers,

Thomas

--

GPG Fingerprint: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747  B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393
Encrypted E-Mail is preferred / Verschluesselte E-Mail wird bevorzugt.