[Borgbackup] logging questions

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue May 17 12:21:38 EDT 2016

On 05/14/2016 04:27 PM, Steve Schow wrote:
> Another reason to have a log file option on borg…is that….if am going a backup to a
 > remote machine and I want log files to end up on the remote machine.
  Don’t know if
 > the INI method can do that or not… but…  I would like it if log files
could end
 > up near the repo..including on a remote machine.

One of the ideas behind borg is that it can encrypt all the data and
metadata and backup to a machine that is not fully trusted and still not
expose any of your data to somebody looking at the repo.

That is why log output is not stored on the repo machine, but
transmitted to the client.

If you like, you can just redirect it to a file and scp the file onto
the (hopefully trustworthy) backup server.

If you use a logging configuration file, you can also use a ton of other
logging methods, python's logging module is quite powerful (but thus,
also not very easy to use or configure). Also, its docs are a bit
sub-optimal...

--

GPG ID: FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393