[Borgbackup] logging questions

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Sat May 14 01:31:00 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Thomas Waldmann <tw at waldmann-edv.de> wrote:

>> Also I notice from the docs there is this env variable BORG_LOGGING_CONF,
>
>> but I couldn’t find any information about how to use it.
>
> Hmm, didn't I link to the python logging module configuration file format
> description? It's an ini-like file and you only need it if you have rather
> special logging needs. By default, we just output the log to stderr and log

"special" is a very subjective word.

Is there any other way to separate the "--list" of files (which are very
nicely machine parsable) from the "--progress" output, which is clearly
terminal oriented output and doesn't make sense to parse?

I couldn't find one, without using the logging conf.  Or foregoing one
of those two outputs.

regards
sitaram

PS: In case someone is wondering, I use the machine parsable output in a
few different ways, but the most common is telling me how much time I
spent on my different sub-projects during the past month/quarter etc.
(Where "number of times files in directory X have changed" is considered
loosely indicative of "time spent on project X").