[Borgbackup] Lock error

Steve Schow steve at bstage.com
Tue May 17 12:02:31 EDT 2016

On May 17, 2016, at 9:45 AM, Thomas Waldmann <tw at waldmann-edv.de> wrote:

> On 05/16/2016 06:14 PM, Steve Schow wrote:
>> I will be implementing a mechanism to prevent borg from being able to run over itself..
>
> Guess for what the cache and repo lock were made for. :)

yes in theory.  But apparently it doesn’t completely stop it from happening?

>> I had to go back and delete several check point files and
>
> You should not delete a checkpoint before having completed a backup of the same data set or you will remove chunks that were already transmitted into the repo and maybe re-usable by your next backup.
>
> So, first have a completed backup, then delete checkpoints (or any older backup archive of same data set) - it will be faster that way.

Well unfortunately the system was left in a bad way with multiple checkpoint files….due to the fact that it started on the first day with a snapshot name of MMDDYY and then when it was incomplete and restarted the next day with a new snapshot name for that day…twice…there were 3 checkpoint files left sitting there…

If I understand you correctly I need to delete this whole repo now and start over…

borg is losing my confidence from stuff like this.  It should not be so easy to fowl it up

All of the excuses you are giving me are not answers, they are just excuses for a system which can’t be automated.  Sorry, but moving on to backuppc now.

Good luck with the project