[Borgbackup] migrating from attic

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon Mar 21 09:37:43 EDT 2016

> I had tried migrating without --inplace option, but ran out of space
> (with 35% being free before migration),

Sure, as it copies your repo, space requirement doubles.

> so I had to migrate with
> --inplace which was successfull.
>
> Next I tried to make a new backup with borg (on same almost unchanged
> data), but ran out of space on backup storage again. Command is:
> # borg create --stats --compression zlib host:/backup::2016-03-20 /data
> Why deduplication haven't worked as it was in attic?

Did you run it as the same user as the attic backup and as the migration?

IIRC the migration converts the attic chunks and files cache, so quick
skipping of unmodified files and deduplication should work.

> Also /root/.cache/borg used 42GB space which is IMHO way too much.

If that's too much for you, read the FAQ for a workaround.

--

GPG ID: FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393