[Baypiggies] Suggestions on Python training for first programming language?

James Nicholson nicholsonjf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 05:34:47 CEST 2014

My introduction to Python one year ago was through the Python Codeacademy
track <http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python>. It's free, has a user
friendly interface, and is easy to start, stop and pick back up again. For
someone completely new to programming, it took me about 3 months to finish.
I thought the course did a good job explaining the basics, and pointing the
student to important outside resources like the Python documentation. Also,
since it's free and can be started very quickly at any time, it's a great
way to see how much you actually enjoy programming without spending any
money.

I'm about to start a more intermediate 8-week course on April 8th (luckily
paid for by my employer) at UCSC Extension called Python for
Programmers<http://course.ucsc-extension.edu/modules/shop/index.html?action=section&OfferingID=1531625&SectionID=5274428>.
I'll try to followup on this thread after I'm done with some notes on my
experience there.

-James

James Nicholson
nicholsonjf.com