[Baypiggies] Suggestions on Python training for first programming language?

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 03:28:53 CEST 2014

I heartily recommend Hackbright Academy as well, based on all the women
I've met from there.

If all she wants is a book, I know a lot of people have had success with:
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Introduction-Computer-Science/dp/1887902996

There are Python classes on Code Academy, Udacity, Cousera, code.org (I
think), etc. However, I haven't seen as many people make it all the way
through those.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Marc Abramowitz <msabramo at gmail.com> wrote:

> My company (SurveyMonkey) has hired several graduates of:
>
> http://www.hackbrightacademy.com
>
> It's a 12 week intensive course in web development using Python for women.
> It's in San Francisco.
>
> If your friend is interested, I could help introduce her to one of our
> HackBright alumni, if she wants to ask them questions about it.
>
> -Marc
> http://marc-abramowitz.com
> Sent from my iPhone 4S
>

> > On Mar 30, 2014, at 6:28 PM, seth f <sfseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have a good friend of 20+ years that seems curious about getting more
> technical.   She's whip-smart, super creative, and frustrated with her
> current gig, which I gather is like somewhere in between editor of content
> and QA.
> >
> > My initial reaction was, the Python community especially around here is
> super cool, of course that's what my first thought is.  Get above (or
> below) the content level, get to the machinery at work, a happier life
> exists.
> >
> > Question to the group, I ask on her behalf: can anyone recommend any
> particular python classes?  Or is anyone doing tutoring kind of stuff?   jj?
> >
> > It would sadden me to see her go off into PHP or Perl lands, I think it
> would be a couple of years of "wow" and then a world of despair.  Java I
> think the corporateness would get to her right off.
> >
> > So of course I'm biased but I suggested Python... I suggested Ruby too,
> with the caveat that I just found Ruby to be cutesy, and both of us are
> pretty dark in our senses of humor.
> >
> > Anyway, if we've got any Python educators on the list please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > seth

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with
great love. -- Mother Teresa