[Baypiggies] Python Standardized Skill Scoring Chart

Sean Perry shaleh at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 17 23:43:38 CEST 2013

On Apr 17, 2013, at 2:28 PM, David Berthelot wrote:

> Often the concepts like decorators take 5 minutes to understand to someone smart, modules API documentation can be looked up in seconds. So my approach to interview has been more focused on 'can you get things done' than on syntax or language specifics.

I largely agree with this but..... I have encountered a LOT of coders who code like they are using C in whatever language they are given. Think lots of explicit for loops and avoiding classes along with not designing for unit tests. They pick up Python the language without a problem. But they never write idiomatic Python. I ask about "deeper" language features because I am curious if the person has taken the time to learn about the language or if they looked at the quick start list because they had to use Python for the task at hand. They get kudos for being agnostic enough to consider another language but I find the quality of the code is better when I look for people who actually want to use the language and like it.