[Baypiggies] Asynchronous web tasks

Ryan Matthew Balfanz rbalfanz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 06:59:43 CET 2012

I meant to reply sooner, and a few have already suggested celery, but I
wanted to through this in the mix.

The first example (
http://ask.github.com/celery/getting-started/introduction.html) says it
all. You can fire tasks from anywhere, such as in a view, or as a
signal receiver, etc. Periodic tasks (see
http://ask.github.com/celery/userguide/periodic-tasks.html) offer scheduled
jobs. I use both.

I think that the django-celery-email (
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-celery-email /
https://github.com/pmclanahan/django-celery-email) project is a great
starting point. Take a look at the code for a simple, yet powerful, example
which isn't much more complicated than the celery docs themselves.

I had the most trouble getting the task results to work in the admin, then
I found out about celerycam (
http://ask.github.com/celery/userguide/monitoring.html#starting-the-monitor),
which I manage with supervisor.

-Ryan