[Baypiggies] Newbie: Python on Mac

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Mar 1 09:54:53 CET 2011

In article
<AANLkTimHVnmjGk8zoFRgCpicM07eD6nFGjha3cr_LBWK at mail.gmail.com>,
 Alex Salkever <alex.salkever at gmail.com>
 wrote:

>  You guys are correct. It is on Python 2.6 (I'm running Snow Leopard) - I
> got confused by something else I saw in Terminal (as I said, I'm a noob).
> But it still seems like the help documentation available is really sparse
> (basically non-existent). Is there better help documentation in 2.7 or later
> versions?

A simple way to install either Python 2.7 or Python 3.2 or both is by
using the Python for Mac OS X installers available from python.org here:

http://www.python.org/download/

For Python 2.7.1, stick with the 32-bit only installer for OS X.  For
Python 3.2, you could use either installer but if you do use the 64-bit
installer you will need to install ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 to use IDLE
or other Tkinter-based GUI apps.

IDLE is Python's "built-in" integrated development environment.  It has
some warts but many people still find it useful, especially when
starting out.  The above installers will create version-specific folders
in /Applications, i.e /Applications/Python 2.7 and/or
/Applications/Python 3.2.  In either one, you will find an IDLE.app for
that version of Python.  In the IDLE Help menu, there will be a link to
a built-in version of the Python documentation set for that version.
You can also find the latest versions on-line here:

http://docs.python.org/
http://docs.python.org/py3k/

--
 Ned Deily,