[Baypiggies] Newbie: Python on Mac

James Tatum jtatum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 07:45:35 CET 2011

Simple answer: Upgrade your OS :) 10.6 comes with 2.6.1. If you can
get your hands on 10.7, it's got 2.6.6 and 2.7.1. Think Python doesn't
really say what it needs but based on the publication date 2.6 should
be fine. What OS are you running? I don't recall any of them shipping
2.4.

If you're following the steps in a book virtually any Python should be
OK. I like plain ol' Python. It has an installer for OS X:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.1/
(Pick the option that says "Mac OS X installer" - also note that that
OS X 10.3 is required at a minimum.)

It puts symlinks in /usr/local/bin and leaves the older version in
place. That's important so programs aren't broken.