Note: A newer bugfix release, 2.7.2, is currently available. Its use is recommended.
Python 2.7.1 was released on November 27th, 2010.
The Python 2.7 series is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series before 2.x moves into an extended maintenance period. This release contains many of the features that were first released in Python 3.1. Improvements in this release include:
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping, new assert methods, and test discovery
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- Set literals
- Set and dictionary comprehensions
- Dictionary views
- New syntax for nested with statements
- The sysconfig module
See these resources for further information:
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Gzipped source tar ball (2.7.1) (sig)
- Bzipped source tar ball (2.7.1) (sig)
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.1) (sig)
- Windows x86 MSI program database (2.7.1) (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.1)  (sig)
- Windows X86-64 program database (2.7.1)  (sig)
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.1) for Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.6  (sig).
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit x86-64/i386 Installer (2.7.1) for Mac OS X 10.6  (sig). [You may not be able to run IDLE or use Tkinter with this installer, see note 2 for instructions.]
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key (fingerprint: 12EF 3DC3 8047 DA38 2D18 A5B9 99CD EA9D A413 5B38). The Windows installer was signed by Martin von Löwis' public key, which has a key id of 7D9DC8D2. The Mac installers were signed with Ronald Oussoren's key, which has a key id of E6DF025C. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
15ed56733655e3fab785e49a7278d2fb 14058131 Python-2.7.1.tgz aa27bc25725137ba155910bd8e5ddc4f 11722546 Python-2.7.1.tar.bz2 c7a750e85e632294c9b527ee8358d805 16065602 python-2.7.1-pdb.zip ef24194913837f2f542883fd52f3af99 17196098 python-2.7.1.amd64-pdb.zip c4eb466b9d01fde770097a559445e33b 16333824 python-2.7.1.amd64.msi a69ce1b2d870be29befd1cefb4615d82 16003072 python-2.7.1.msi aa399c743796a519148d08b77fab0fe7 21429186 python-2.7.1-macosx10.3.dmg 723b12ec324fafb7b4a12f102c744ae7 18529455 python-2.7.1-macosx10.6.dmg
|||(1, 2) The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.|