[Baypiggies] Toaster Activity

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 02:02:50 CEST 2010

I enjoyed the Bay Piggies meeting last night.  Here is some more
information about my project that I announced.

The San Francisco One Laptop Per Child user group
http://tinyurl.com/olpcsf which meets monthly at the downtown SFSU
campus is working to support several OLPC http://www.laptop.org
deployments around the world.  Because sugarlabs.org is now a separate
group from laptop.org, anyone can try out the Sugar environment
without the XO-1 or XO-1.5 laptop hardware through Sugar on a Stick
(aka SoaS).  http://mirrors.rit.edu/sugarlabs/soas/docs/creation-kit/index.html
 Just about any computer that can boot from a SoaS USB stick can run a
Sugar environment and load Activities such as Toaster.  A python or
other program running in a Sugar environment is called an Activity.

OLPC SF is looking for contributors to help with our new Sugar / PyGTK
Activity called Toaster, our first Sugar development effort.  Toaster
will share software via USB sticks and burned CD-ROMs.
http://tinyurl.com/olpctoaster redirects to our web presence
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Toaster which has several
subpages.  There are three tasks I am working on right now.

    1. Designing a user interface now that a rudimentary activity is
running.  Code is available from our git repository.

    2. Developing code using the standard python subprocess library to
interpret the output of the wodim binary as feedback to the user
through the UI

    3. Developing a USB stick back end, selecting one of the various
methods of creating a functional USB stick

Our email list is at: http://groups.google.com/group/xotoaster/

Regards,

Grant Bowman