[Baypiggies] Salary Requirements Questions

Roderick Llewellyn roderick at sanfransystems.com
Wed Oct 28 04:36:02 CET 2009

Re: Nathan Yergler's comment: well if the employer has such a good idea of
what the position is worth (such that they might offer the candidate more
than candidate's figure), and also knows the maximum they are willing to
pay, and wants to avoid wasting everybody's time, why don't they just
publish the figure (or range) in their job posting? After all, the job
posting occurs first; the candidate responds to the posting. That way if
their range is too low from my perspective I won't even bother applying. But
that rarely happens, right? So I think that indicates that this isn't the
reason for asking the figure. The reason is to gain a negotiating advantage.
In your specific case, it's nice that they made you an offer above your
asking price, but I suspect that's rare.
After all, if companies routinely made offers in their range, even if the
offer was much higher than my required salary, my strategy should be to ask
for: zero! That maximizes my chance of getting an offer, by surely being
lower than the range, and I can just extend that "trust" you are talking
about that they will offer me an appropriate amount.
- Rod L.