[Baypiggies] Job - Salary Questions

Roderick Llewellyn roderick at sanfransystems.com
Wed Oct 28 02:23:47 CET 2009

Thanks those of you who responded to my questions about salary requirements
on application forms. I have been checking out some of the sites mentioned
by you. The Rands in Repose site has some good information, although it is
obviously directed towards young people who are now currently working,
basically the opposite of my situation. The salary.com site yields numbers
compatible with those I've given on these forms, though knowing how one fits
into salary.com's "Software Engineer X" (where X goes from 1 to 5) is
unclear.
I think I agree with those who say that if they ask for a number, one
shouldn't bother working for them. A firm's asking for these numbers
actually suggests insecurity on its part about what they should pay. Perhaps
they are just fishing for income information and don't intend to hire
anybody.
Again thanks,
Rod L.