[AstroPy] A Mystery: DAOStarFinder Not Finding an Obvious Star in Just One Image

Robert Carr rspencercarr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:27:07 EST 2022

Thank you to Eric and Larry for their helpful tips. The Obvious Star is
obviously about perfectly round and so I was not surprised that
revising roundlo and roundhi did not uncloak my object.  The pixel-by-pixel
inspection suggested by Eric, however, revealed that the pixel values were
rather constant across much of the object and then dropped off sharply
toward the edges.  This was distinctly non-Gaussian.  I had naively assumed
that the default values of DAOStarFinder were the least restrictive ones
but a little education can be a marvelous thing.  Revising the sharpness
parameters sharplo and sharphi caused DAOStarFinder to "discover" a great
number of additional objects in the image, some of them real and one of
them my Obvious Star!

Thank you so much for your help!

Bob Carr