[AstroPy] Solar System ephemerides in astropy.coordinates

Matthew Burger mburger at stsci.edu
Tue Sep 10 09:12:57 EDT 2019

I’m trying to use astropy.coordinates.solar_system_ephemeris to calculate the RA and Dec of other bodies besides planets. Is this possible? I know which JPL SPICE kernels I want to use, but I can’t load them. If I specify another kernel with a url (e.g., https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/generic_kernels/spk/satellites/jup310.bsp), it downloads the file but can’t use it.

I’m using astropy 3.2.1 with python 3.7.4.

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew Burger
Archive Scientist
Data Processing & Archive Services (DPAS), Deputy Branch Manager
Space Telescope Science Institute
mburger at stsci.edu<mailto:mburger at stsci.edu>
410/338-6810