[AstroPy] help with i2py software (Morris Stranger)

Chris Hayward cchayward at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 17:29:35 EDT 2013

It's also worth noting that you can read IDL save files using
scipy.io.readsav (
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.io.readsav.html).
This is useful if, for example, you have a legacy IDL pipeline that
produces some output that you then wish to analyze further using Python. If
I intend to continue using an IDL script frequently, I convert it to
Python, but if it's not worth converting, I use this save file approach to
'patch' together IDL and Python.

Cheers,

Chris

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen <
thoger.emil at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I second that!
>
> There is even a page, Numpy for IDL Users (
> https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~jbattat/computer/python/science/idl-numpy.html),
> that shows a lot of function and command equivalences between the two
> languages. When I wrote my Master's degree thesis, my supervisor gave me
> some IDL scripts and told me to "read them, understand them and then run
> them". I took that as my chance to learn python, so I re-wrote them in
> Python, and ran both the IDL and python versions and checked that they gace
> identical results - which was actually a great jumpstart to python coding.
> I have never regretted it - in fact it took me only two or three weeks
> before I could do as much in Python as I could in IDL, plus some plotting
> stuff that was much easier in Python.
>

> On 23-09-2013 21:12, Slavin, Jonathan wrote:
>
>  Morris,
>
>  As far as I know, i2py is an abandoned project.  I think it only worked
> partially even when it was maintained.  Ouf of curiosity, which IDL
> programs did you want to convert to python?  If you're familiar with IDL
> but not so much with python, converting IDL programs to python is a good
> way learn it.
>
>  Jon
>
>  Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:11:22 +0100
>> From: Morris Stranger <ma.stranger at o2.co.uk>
>> Subject: [AstroPy] help with i2py software
>> To: astropy at scipy.org
>>

>> I'm having trouble using the i2py software. I have very little knowledge
>> of computers (mainly just using my computer for the internet and
>> downloading simple files). I am saying this because when someone gave me
>> help last time, whilst I was very grateful, he was instructing me to do
>> things that were beyond my knowledge. I want to get the i2py software
>> working as a translator on my computer. My knowledge of python isn't very
>> good either (I know how to make simple programs and how to work a bit with
>> Numpy but nothing fancy).  I downloaded the software from this link:
>> http://code.google.com/p/i2py/downloads/detail?name=i2py-0.1.0.zip&can=2&q=
>> and I got a folder of files but I don't know beyond that how to get the
>> IDl2python translator up and running. I would be very grateful if someone
>> could help me with this.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> Morris Stranger
>>
>  --
> Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
> jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
> phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
> fax: (617) 496-7577            USA

Chris Hayward
Heidelberger Institut für Theoretische Studien
Schloss-Wolfsbrunnenweg 35
69118 Heidelberg, Germany
Google Voice: +1 (617) 744-9416
Office: +49 6221 533 284