[AstroPy] help with i2py software (Morris Stranger)

Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen thoger.emil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 16:37:46 EDT 2013

I second that!

There is even a page, Numpy for IDL Users
(https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~jbattat/computer/python/science/idl-numpy.html
<https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/%7Ejbattat/computer/python/science/idl-numpy.html>),
that shows a lot of function and command equivalences between the two
languages. When I wrote my Master's degree thesis, my supervisor gave me
some IDL scripts and told me to "read them, understand them and then run
them". I took that as my chance to learn python, so I re-wrote them in
Python, and ran both the IDL and python versions and checked that they
gace identical results - which was actually a great jumpstart to python
coding. I have never regretted it - in fact it took me only two or three
weeks before I could do as much in Python as I could in IDL, plus some
plotting stuff that was much easier in Python.