[AstroPy] units in ascii read/write?

Eric L. N. Jensen ejensen1 at swarthmore.edu
Wed May 15 10:19:56 EDT 2013

Hi all,

In Rolf's original example:

> Example file I am reading:
> #    1    flux    Fluss    [eV]
> #    2    time    Zeit    [MJD]
> 1    34
> 3    56
>
> data =
> ascii.read("sextractor.dat",Reader=ascii.SExtractor,guess=False,delimiter='\t',comment="#")
isn't it the case that the header lines would get discarded as comments, since they have the comment character prepended?  That's how I understood the documentation:

> comment : regular expression defining a comment line in table
> If the comment regular expression matches the beginning of a table line then that line will be discarded from header or data processing.

Now it may be that the units won't work in any case, but at least it might have a hope of getting the column labels, as long as it can parse the multi-line format.

Thanks for clarifying,

Eric