[AstroPy] units in ascii read/write?

Tom Aldcroft aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed May 15 08:14:20 EDT 2013

Hi Rolf,

Unfortunately units parsing isn't currently supported in the SExtractor
format.

This should be relatively easy to add, but biggest question is about the
format of the header lines that provide the units.  In the example you
showed the column definition line ends with an optional set of units within
square brackets like [eV].  Are there any other variations in the header
format possible?  I looked at the SExtractor manual but there is no
specification of the output format(s).  My guess for a rule is that if a
header line ends with something in square brackets then that is a unit.  Do
you think that will work?  (I don't use SExtractor myself).

This is now issue 1093:
  https://github.com/astropy/astropy/issues/1093

Thanks,
Tom