[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] Coordinates subpackage - request for help

David Berry d.berry at jach.hawaii.edu
Thu Nov 15 12:32:04 EST 2012

Hi Demitri,

My offering is at

http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~dberry/convert.py   (the script)
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~dberry/pyast.txt.gz   (the output table)

The script reads the FK5 J2000 values from Chris' table and converts
them to FK4 B1950, ICRS, Galactic and Ecliptic. It assumes J2000 for
the epoch of observation (as specified at
http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp/pro/astro/bprecess.pro). The RMS
discrepancies in arc-seconds between my table and Chris' table are
3.6E-4 (ecliptic) and 3.6E-7 (galactic).

I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest that astronomers only trust
software written in IDL :-) AST has been around for more than a
decade. It's based on the SLALIB library that was created by Pat
Wallace, the author of the SOFA library (who was also involved in
writing AST), and is used in very trusted tools such as DS9.

David