[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] Coordinates subpackage - request for help

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:27:28 EST 2012

>> 2) Why does it need to be IDL? It's proprietary software, so many
>> people will not use it. There are many tools in many freely available
>> languages for creating tables of corresponding positions in different
>> coordinate systems.   For instance, I could create such a table
>> quickly using PyAST, which since we're talking Python seems an obvious
>> choice.
>
> This is purely for testing purposes and not meant to be released for use by anyone. I specifically chose IDL since the libraries are well-trusted and well-tested by the community. I think a selling feature would be to show that our code compares favorably with what people trust.

I think it would be great to have a PyAST version of the testing
script in addition to the IDL one. I think it's fair to say that
people trust AST (possibly even more than the IDL routines!).

As for accuracy, I think we should aim for <0.01" initially - the
rationale being that 1" accuracy won't be very useful for e.g. HST
observations. In the long term, I would argue that microsecond
accuracy would be desirable.

Cheers,
Tom