[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Tue Jun 19 13:25:01 EDT 2012

> Nevertheless, you can already make use of the existing functionality,
> which is fully tested. Key features include:

Excellent news!

The question "when to switch" comes up.  I'm sure some parts (pyfits,
pywcs, etc) are very stable and the calling syntax, data objects,
etc. won't change in the future.  I'm equally sure some things are still
highly alpha.  Would it make sense to provide a list
(help(astropy.stability())?) that lays out what you can depend on and
where you should or might expect changes?  Or, is there a pathway from
public code development with public usage and the understanding that
it might change, to freezing it and including it in astropy, such that
astropy is only mature, stable code?

--jh--