[AstroPy] bouncing balls problem in EPD 7.3-2

Tom Aldcroft aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Aug 5 09:21:52 EDT 2012

Hi Juan,

Last year the CfA Python users group talked about this issue over
lunch.  We also saw the same issues you mentioned, depending on the
platform (Mac, linux) and the GUI backend (Tk, Gtk, Qt).  Basically in
some cases issuing multiple draw() commands within a running script
would not update the plot until the script finished.  So you are not
doing anything wrong, but the simple bouncing_balls.py technique does
not work across all platforms / backends.

It looks like matplotlib (at least version 1.1) has an animation
subpackage that hopefully smooths over these differences to provide a
uniform and reliable way to animate.  See:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/animation/index.html
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/animation/basic_example.html

- Tom