[AstroPy] organizing meetings to organize astropy

Marshall Perrin mperrin at stsci.edu
Tue Jun 14 12:33:48 EDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> I completely agree that an in-person meeting is probably the only way
> to really push this along, and webcasting/conferencing would help even
> more.
>
> So it sounds like the following options are plausible:
>
> *Splinter meeting at AAS in Austin this January
> *Fall Workshop at Space Telescope
> *Fall Workshop at CfA/Harvard
> *Scipy session next month

I would suggest more than one of the above be pursued. Given that this organizational debate has come up repeatedly for some years now, there's no way that one workshop over a couple days will possibly suffice for all the worthy topics and issues to sort out.

The various options above have different strengths, too. A splinter before or after the AAS might be the easiest way to get many people in the same room at once, but a workshop at the CfA or STScI will be easier to webcast for remote attendees. (My experience running splinter workshops at the AAS in the past has uniformly been that the bandwidth is abysmal and in no way sufficient for a webcast).

 - Marshall