[XML-SIG] Is anyone implementing EXI in Python?

Henry S. Thompson ht at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 15 19:37:34 CEST 2009

Stanley A. Klein writes:

> Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) is moving toward adoption by W3C.  It
> provides a format for efficiently representing XML documents with
> schema-informed and schema-less modes.
>
> There is an open-source Java implementation available.
>
> Is anyone working to implement EXI in Python?

Don't get me wrong, I think EXI is useful, in the right places, but,
could I ask, why would you want to implement it in Python?  I'd be
very surprised if any Python XML application is spending anything like
enough time in the raw parsing activity (as opposed to the
structure-building activity) to make the marginal gain you might get
from EXI worth it. . .

EXI is, IMO, for closely coupled systems in particular messaging
environments where every bit counts, and I guess I'm having difficulty
imagining Python in such a context. . .

ht
                         Half-time member of W3C Team
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht at inf.ed.ac.uk