[XML-SIG] Excel (XML): how retrieve contents of cell

T. Peter Herndon tpherndon at optonline.net
Sat Jun 4 00:49:35 CEST 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Leon Stevens wrote:

> 1. I'm comparatively new to Python, very new to XML
> 2. Running Python 2.3, with pyXML.
> 3. Using dom, and following example in "Python in a Nutshell", I've
> coded a
> successfully running parse of a worksheet.
> 4. How do I access the contents of a cell (say, C3) from the XML
> tree? The
> next question will then be to access the formula of that cell.
>
> I'm willing to read. What book(s)?

"Python Programming on Win32" by Hammond and Robinson, from
O'Reilly.  At least, if you don't need XML.  Instead, use win32com
automation to get the data directly from Excel.  If using XML is a
requirement, I defer to others' experience, but I think you might be
using the wrong tool for the job.

Also, I'd suggest Fredrik Lundh's ElementTree as a much friendlier
XML toolkit.

HTH,

---Peter Herndon