[XML-SIG] XBEL / Call for extension

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Fri Jan 28 15:50:01 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:09 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> Yes, but at the same time it should be useable as an interoperable format.
> So icons need to be in there - in a simple way, yes.
> Icons are really an integral part of bookmarks nowadays.

OK.  I think we have to agree to disagree on this one, but I'm just one
person.  What do others think?  If everyone does seem to feel there
should be one standard way to have icons, I'll defer on that point.

Meanwhile, am I correct that XBEL 1.1 is a dead letter?  It's bundled up
into PyXML, but it's not linked from the Web site, or anything.  It's
also not really ready for prime time (the icons/NMTOKEN head-scratcher,
for example).  Last time XBEL evolution came up, Martin mentioned 1.2 as
the natural next version.

Should we just say on the XBEL page that there was an experimental 1.1,
but that it is withdrawn (sorta like XSLT 1.1) and that we're working on
1.2?

Then we could start hashing out issues such as icons for 1.2, and get it
out, already.

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Introducing the Amara XML Toolkit - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/19/amara.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286