[XML-SIG] XBEL / Call for extension

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 28 11:09:28 CET 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 07:54, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> Just for starters, a Mozilla-like browser might prefer to use a data
> scheme URL.

A data scheme URL is fine with KDE as well. Using a URL even allows referring
to other URLs (e.g. a favicon http url) instead of "embedding" the icon.
(-> more flexibility, but more difficult interoperability for the implementations
which don't have easy means of downloading remote URLs).
Either way is fine, as long as we standardize on one.

> Another might prefer to use entities, etc.

Well that's the whole point of a standard: to make everyone use the same way
in order to achieve interoperability. If everyone wants his own thing, then we
wouldn't even be using the same XML description in the first place.

> I think XBEL should be as simple as possible

Yes, but at the same time it should be useable as an interoperable format.
So icons need to be in there - in a simple way, yes.
Icons are really an integral part of bookmarks nowadays.