[XML-SIG] Trouble installing PyXML

Michael Prilla michael.prilla at iaw.rub.de
Fri Feb 18 13:55:43 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm getting several errors while installing PyXML. I tried different
versions of PyXML (0.8.1, 0.8.3, 0.8.4) to verify the problem but the
errors are always the same.

The first problems arise when I start 'setup.py' by 'python setup.py
build' and it gives back:

File "sysconfig.py", line 172, in customize_compiler
    cc_cmd = cc + ' ' + opt
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

I solved these problems by checking if all the parts are not None. After
this part of the setup the process starts the gcc and hangs with the

extensions/pyexpat.c:2065: warning: excess elements in struct
initializer
extensions/pyexpat.c:2065: warning: (near initialization for
`handler_info[21]')
extensions/pyexpat.c:2065: warning: excess elements in array initializer
extensions/pyexpat.c:2065: warning: (near initialization for
`handler_info')
extensions/pyexpat.c:1998: error: storage size of `handler_info' isn't
known

A few lines before it produces several warnings and errors:

extensions/pyexpat.c:1664: warning: (near initialization for
`Xmlparsetype')
extensions/pyexpat.c:1664: error: parse error before "xmlparse_setattr"
extensions/pyexpat.c:1665: error: `cmpfunc' undeclared here (not in a
function)
extensions/pyexpat.c:1665: warning: excess elements in scalar
initializer
extensions/pyexpat.c:1665: warning: (near initialization for
`Xmlparsetype')
extensions/pyexpat.c:1665: error: parse error before numeric constant
extensions/pyexpat.c:1666: error: `reprfunc' undeclared here (not in a
function)
extensions/pyexpat.c:1666: warning: excess elements in scalar
initializer
extensions/pyexpat.c:1666: warning: (near initialization for
`Xmlparsetype')
extensions/pyexpat.c:1666: error: parse error before numeric constant
extensions/pyexpat.c:1667: warning: excess elements in scalar
initializer

This is the point where I can't get the installation any further. I'm
working on a SuSe Linux 9.1, the gcc is 3.3.4, Python is installed in
version 2.3.3.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the installation working or if it
might be a gcc-compatibility issue?

--
Michael Prilla
www.imtm-iaw.rub.de