[XML-SIG] Tim Bray on XML

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:18:46 -0700

> > I just had a bit of a more careful read to see if Tim Bray could realy have
> > said such a thing, and I'm not sure where you got that he did.
>
> The way I read it, the majority of his recent XML work is processing large
> input streams of XML and that regexp is the best solution he has found.
>
> I didn't mean it as doomsday, rather as a data point that xml api's could be
> simpler.
>
> You're right that my reaction was a bit "intense."  The opinion he offers
> jibes with my own experiences and flows counter to XML marketing hype.  I've
> made some decisions and recommendations at work recently that run counter to
> a similar kind of marketing hype, so I was excited to read his perspecitve.

Mostly fair enough, except that I'm not sure what you mean by "XML marketing
hype".  Maybe you mean the hype of some particular company, but I haven't
heard of anyone *credible* saying that XML excuses programmers of care about
data.

The word I've always heard about XML is that it helps good developers do their
job better.  This does not add up to any magic.  Certainly, in my wide
consulting in which I've used XML, I've found this claim easily proved.

Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/l
ibrary/x-think16.html
EXSLT by example - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-exslt.html
The worry about program wizards - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7238