[XML-SIG] Tim Bray on XML

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:54:34 -0700

> > On Tuesday 18 March 2003 2:01 pm, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> >
> > > I hardly think there's any deep insight there for developers.
> >
> > The insight I got was that when you are planning an application that will have
> > to parse _large_ xml files, it's not efficient to have to load the whole tree
> > into memory.  This makes good sense and is a common-sense counter to
> > XML-hype.
> >
> > > Yes, Tim
> > > sometimes goes beyond that, but he's always been very careful to point out
> > > that when it's time to do full, general XML parsing, he uses a proper
> > > parser, just like anyone else.
> >
> > That's not what he says in this article.
>
> I just had a bit of a more careful read to see if Tim Bray could realy have
> said such a thing, and I'm not sure where you got that he did.  He said that
> he uses Perl for output.  All very well.  He uses Perl n some cases to do read
> and processing.  He doesn't say any particular sort of red/process, but I see
> no reason to believe he means anything unreasonable.  He then goes on to point
> out that in some cases he does use a full XML parser, as I would expect.
>
> Again, I'm not sure how anyone would draw anything particularly special from
> these thoughts.

Just a disclaimer here: I don't wth to disparage Tim's article, which I think
is quite reasonable.  My reaction is more to the spin that I felt Mark might
be putting on the article, which I thought was a surprisingly intense
interpretation of the article.

Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think16.html
EXSLT by example - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-exslt.html
The worry about program wizards - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7238