[XML-SIG] WXS type library: guidance needed

Eric van der Vlist vdv@dyomedea.com
13 Sep 2002 19:07:21 +0200

Hi Fred,

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 18:52, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>=20
> Uche Ogbuji writes:
>  > This is something where I think an XML-SIG project would be
>  > excellent.  Like em or not, data types are everywhere in XML
>  > processing these days, and why should we even allow false reasons
>  > for Java envy?  :-)
>  >=20
>  > I think we should take on a project to develop a generic XML type
>  > library implementation for Python.
>=20
> Andrew Kuchling started some work, currently checked into the PyXML
> CVS repository in the "datatypes" directory of the sandbox module (not
> the xml module).  I don't really know what the state of it is.
>=20
> I'd really like to see Andrew's RELAX-NG package be finished and made
> part of the standard PyXML distribution as well (it's also hidden in
> the sandbox).  I offered to help work on it at one point, but then
> never found the time to do so.  ;-(
>=20
> Eric, perhaps you'd like to take a look at that code and see if it
> works for what you're trying to do with XVIF, and help out with
> general RELAX-NG support.  ;-)

I have exchanged a couple of emails with Andrew when I have started my
XVIF implementation. I knew that there was some redundancy between what
we were doing but I have a set of different objectives (one is to learn
the RNG "internals" for a book [1] which I am writing on the subject,
the second is to extend it for the work I am doing at the ISO DSDL [2]
working group) and I have decided to go by myself.

<plug>The book will be available under FDL, is open for public review
(the 6 first chapters are already available) and comments from the XML
Python community are welcome.</plug>

Also, XVIF [3] is published under a MPL license and thus available for
public use if anyone is interested.

As for the library, I took a look at what has been done hidden in the
sandbox and think that we could consider it as a starting point since it
seems generic and well thought.

Thanks

Eric

[1] http://books.xmlschemata.org/relaxng/