[XML-SIG] Dropping Python 1.5 support in PyXML

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:59:32 +0100 (CET)

"Martin v. Loewis" <martin@v.loewis.de>:

> Dinu Gherman <gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > Well, I'm not sure I care, but why *should* it be dropped?
>
> For most part, it would not be actively dropped. Instead, we'd just
> remove the restriction that new code must work with 1.5

Well, that is enough to make new versions of PyXML incompatible with
Python 1.5, isn't it? If so, this measure probably does qualify as
"actively dropped support for 1.5".

> [...] and I would
> stop producing binaries for 1.5, and stop testing with 1.5 - this is
> why I'm interested in that (reduction of workload).
>
> For the specific case of pyexpat, I'd like to remove the #ifdef maze
> in which each Python release added its own fragments; this is becoming
> unmaintainable.

I guess, that's the bullet to bite in case of frequent releases. ;-)

Rich Salz <r.salz@verizon.net>:

> >Well, I'm not sure I care, but why *should* it be dropped?
>
> The code can get a lot cleaner by use of things like list
> comprehensions.

Isn't that a highly subjective argument? For others list comprehen-
sions qualify as a more or less efficient obfuscation mechanism.

Regards,

Dinu