[XML-SIG] minidom enhancements

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:39:11 -0600

> I've just merged the changes to minidom into the trunk; this should
> buy us a little performance.

And cause some problems  ;-)

It looks as if the class CharacterData no longer has an __init__.  Nor do the
classes that derive from it.  This means that the usage

Text("spam")
Comment("eggs")

Now blows up.

Which, I think is bad.  We construct nodes that way in 4Suite's minidom
wrapper, and I can modify the cases, but I dislike the change.  I think it
removes a very useful and Pythonic paradigm.  Also, who knows how much code it
would break?  I know we've been guilty of changing APIs in 4Suite.  I guess
I'm reaping my whirlwind  :-)

Is there a good reason for this, though?

Should we expect any more API surprises  ;-)

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li
brary/x-think11.html