[XML-SIG] Availability of libxml2 and libxslt Python bindings

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@comcast.net
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:02:13 -0500

[Daniel Veillard]

>    Hum, each time I touch those CSS settings somemeone complains I
> should fix them in a different way... the good point is that I just need
> to change them in the XSLT to fix the whole site:
>
> ------------------------
> TD {font-size: 14pt; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica}
> BODY {font-size: 14pt; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica; margin-top:
2em; margin-left: 0em; margin-right: 0em}
> H1 {font-size: 20pt; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica}
> H2 {font-size: 18pt; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica}
> H3 {font-size: 16pt; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica}
> ------------------------
>
>   Is removing all the font-size properties sufficient ?
> I tried and it looks acceptable to me in term of size. But doesn't fix
> the fact that <pre> extends too much.
>   What do you suggest ?

Well, it **is** hard with <pre> code lines.  I'd try to

1) edit the code by hand to insert line breaks where possible (as in line
continuations possible with some languages),

2) not use <pre> but use arial, sans-serif,  or some other non-monospaced
font, because more characters will fit on a line and still be readable
(non-traditional but often helpful),

3) Use font-size:80% for code, especially if you stick with <pre> after all.
If it's too small for some, they can increase the font viewing size or copy
and paste it into an editor, but the rest of the page will be usable.  I
have generally found that 80% is a good compromise between readability of
code and length of line.  The rest of the page could be 90% or 100%.

 70% often displays badly and is hard to read, and that might be worse on a
unix system without font smoothing (compared to Windows, I mean).

Bear in mind, too, that Courier font usually looks larger for the same point
size than most other fonts on the system, so it's more feasible to specify a
smaller size for it.

Another reason to use relative font sizes is to allow people with visual
impairments to be able to adjust the display so they can read it.

Your site isn't the only one. The Zope site, for example, has a lot of pages
with this problem too.

Thanks for being willing to tackle this.

Cheers,

Tom P