[XML-SIG] Re: Ideas for web/ package

Walter Dörwald walter@livinglogic.de
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:32:29 +0100

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Walter Dörwald wrote:
>
>>M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> > Seriously, mxURL will slowly move towards RFC 2396 and
>> > so the answer is "yes, but...".
>>
>>What I'd like to have is an RFC2396 compliant URL class,
>>that has all the url components as assignable properties,
>>

> mxURL provides an immutable type, so assigment to attributes
> is not possible. However, you can use an existing URL object
> to construct a new one out of it: the .rebuild() method
> allows to do this.

Yes, but instead of extracting the components I want to keep from
the old URL and stuff them back into a new URL, I find it simpler
to simple change the URL object in place, especially when it's
possible to change the object on any level.

> Something I might add in the future is support for what
> you've called path_segments (with the possibility to assign
> parameters to all path segments, not just the last one as
> is currently implemented in mxURL). I've never actually seen
> it in use on web-pages and didn't even know about this
> possibility when I wrote mxURL.

It's part of RFC2396.

The terminology has slightly changed too: e.g. netloc has
changed to authority etc.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald

--