[XML-SIG] Element.localName, Attr.localName

Mike Brown mike@skew.org
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:35:29 -0600 (MDT)

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > Martin v. Loewis writes:
> >  > > <doc xmlns:a="http://xml.python.org/a"
> >  > >      xmlns:A="http://xml.python.org/a"
> >  > >      xmlns:b="http://xml.python.org/b"
> >  > >      a:a="a" b:b="b"
> >  > >      />
> >  > >
> >  > > This is just XML 1.0, no namespaces!
> >  >
> >  > Why do you say that this document has no namespaces? It looks to me
> >  > like it has!
> >
> > Because I've said this is only an XML 1.0 document only; it happens to
> > attributes that would be namespace declarations and prefixes if
> > namespace processing were active, but it isn't.
>
> Umm.  Not so fast.  This document is not XML 1.0 well-formed because attribute
> names starting with "xml" are reserved.

Bzzt. Names starting with "xml" are reserved, yes, but this is a semantic
reservation ("don't use it unless it's for the purpose we say it's for), not a
well-formedness constraint. The only constraint of the sort you are talking
about is on a processing instruction target. That is,

  "<?xml foo?>"

is definitely not allowed, but

  "<?xml-foo?>"

and