[XML-SIG] Element.localName, Attr.localName

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:26:06 -0600

> Martin v. Loewis writes:
>  > > <doc xmlns:a="http://xml.python.org/a"
>  > >      xmlns:A="http://xml.python.org/a"
>  > >      xmlns:b="http://xml.python.org/b"
>  > >      a:a="a" b:b="b"
>  > >      />
>  > >
>  > > This is just XML 1.0, no namespaces!
>  >
>  > Why do you say that this document has no namespaces? It looks to me
>  > like it has!
>
> Because I've said this is only an XML 1.0 document only; it happens to
> attributes that would be namespace declarations and prefixes if
> namespace processing were active, but it isn't.

Umm.  Not so fast.  This document is not XML 1.0 well-formed because attribute
names starting with "xml" are reserved.

It only becomes WF through the auspices of XMLNS.  So either it's a namespaces
document, or it's not an XML document at all  :-)

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC