[XML-SIG] PyXML 0.7 & 4XSLT

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
12 Apr 2002 09:23:35 +0200

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:

> >   Have you thought about integrating libxslt + its existing wrappers ?
> > Speed wise and conformance wise, I think your user base would be happy.
>
> Ah, good.  You have particular performance bugs to report in 4Suite, then,
> right?
>
> So what are they?

I don't think he has (and he didn't claim there are any). In the
Python+XML world, it is common that everybody develops his own stuff,
and uses and advertises this as a solution to a certain set of
problems. Authors of such packages often do not know their
competition, let alone comparing their own packages to those of the
competition. I'm not even sure there is something wrong with this, as
long as users still have a choice.

In the specific case, Daniel suggested that libxslt will offer good
speed and conformance, and I believe him (without ever having
installed the libxslt wrappers). He did not comment at all on the
speed and conformance of 4XSLT. I guess he could not have, because he
never used it.

This is all complicated matter, and it is tricky enough to get on
terms with a single toolkit - expecting that many people become
experts with different toolkits is probably not realistic.

I hope that xml-sig continues to be the place where people can
advertise their own software, and where users can get recommendations
on various options.

For PyXML, I hope that the package continues to receive contributions
from various people.

Regards,
Martin