[XML-SIG] Re: [4suite] What should go in Debian Woody?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
09 Apr 2002 14:24:05 -0600

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 14:17, J=E9r=F4me Marant wrote:
> Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:
>=20
> > On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 09:32, Alexandre wrote:
> >
> >> Right now, the only two solution I can think of are:
> >>  * replacing python-xml-0.7 in Woody with python-xml-0.6.8, which used
> >>  to work fine with python-4suite-0.11.1
> >>  * dropping python-4suite-0.11.1 from Woody and patching python-xml-0.=
7
> >>  to provide a useable xml.xslt module
> >
> > Since Woody is coming out really soon now, and it is to become the new
> > Debian stable, I think option 1 is the certain best choice.  Option 2
> > would take a good deal of work and time, and would involve adding
> > immature code.  PyXML 0.6.8/4Suite 0.11.1 may be old, but they're
> > stable.
>=20
>   Unfortunately, Option 2 is likely to happen: Debian boot floppies use
>   python-xml to render documentation; I already broke them once when
>   I switched from 0.6.7 to 0.7 (it happened last December). I'm not
>   going to do the same mistake this time.
>=20
>   Here are my two options:
>   1/ 4Suite 0.11.1 stay in Debian even broken (except from xslt and xpath=
,
>   is it still usable indenpendtly?)

Yes.  4RDF, in particular, is still usable.  But would this not just
cause more confusion?

What is the upgrade path for packages in stable?  If Woody initially
goes out with back-dated 4Suite or none, can the sources later update
with stable versions of 4Suite 0.12.0?  Or would these only appear in
testing from now (which I assume is what Sid will become)?

--=20
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
Fourthought, Inc.                         http://Fourthought.com=20
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management
Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston):
http://www.xmlconference.com/
Latest article: Managing structured Web service metadata -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-wsdlrdf/
Latest article: WSDL and the Wild, Wild West -
http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=3D6004
Next presentation: XML, The Model Driven Architecture, and RDF @ XML
Europe - http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/kttrack.asp#themodel