[XML-SIG] What should go in Debian Woody?

Alexandre Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:32:17 +0200

Hi everybody,

Debian/Woody is due out Real Soon Now, and there's a problem with the
python-xml and python-4suite packages that are currently to ship with
Woody.

Right now, we have python-xml-0.7-1, which is made of PyXML-0.7 with a
few patches to fix some problems with XBEL and without xml.xpath nor
xml.xslt, and python-4suite-0.11.1, wich is 4Suite-0.11.1 packages very
straightforwardly from the Fourthought release.

Problem is that it is impossible to use the xml.xslt package from
python-4suite, because of the EMPTY_NAMESPACE changes in PyXML from the
end of last year. And on the other hand, it is not possible to use
xml.xslt from PyXML-0.7 because of some problems in the port from
4suite (for instance bug #510080).

My understanding of the status of the xml.xslt problems in PyXML is that
we are waiting for a new release of 4Suite's Xslt to integrate it with
PyXML, so there is less incitation to fix the current release (please
correct me if I'm wrong).

Right now, the only two solution I can think of are:
 * replacing python-xml-0.7 in Woody with python-xml-0.6.8, which used
 to work fine with python-4suite-0.11.1
 * dropping python-4suite-0.11.1 from Woody and patching python-xml-0.7
 to provide a useable xml.xslt module

I'd like to know if there are other options that I would have missed, or
some suggestions from the people on the lists.

There's been a discussion on the debian-python mailing list that you may
want to look at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2002/debian-python-200204/msg00018.html

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).