[XML-SIG] Re: [reportlab-users] The fastest XML parser around

W. Eliot Kimber eliot@isogen.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:33:15 -0600

Alexandre wrote:

> > Also, is it fair to make comparisons with
> > other parsers, since it doesn't look like RXPpy computes tag sets to answer
> > queries like getElementsByTagName or getElementById efficiently?
>
> It's probably not fair, but then, so what ? If pyRXP doesn't do what you
> need, just forget it, and use whatever parser you feel like using. I
> personnaly have never ever used getElementsByXXX, so this is not an
> important functionnality for me.

Just as a data point--most of the DOM code I write is in the service of
extracting data from XML config files. For that I use getElementsByXXX
because it's the easiest way to get the elements you want without
worrying about issues like non-element nodes. These applications are
also not particularly concerned about efficiency because the DOM
processing is a tiny fraction of some larger process.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com