[XML-SIG] getAttribute??

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 13:20:55 -0600

> Dom Linu wrote:
> >
> > Wow -- very informative.  Thank you.  I was working on the assumption
> > that if namespaces weren't in use, that you use non-namespace
> > functions.  That seems to have worked for everything else that I'm
> > doing, but to be honest I can't remember if I've always been using the
> > Sax2 reader-- I would have to dig.  I mean, with the Sax2 reader
> > (implied by using FromXml) getElementsByTagName works, without using
> > getElementsByTagNameNS I'm pretty sure...  is this inconsistent, or am
> > I missing something?  (the latter probably being true!)
>
> I considered the current behavior a bug (that non-namespace functions
> require a null namespace value) and fixed it in my local copy of the
> code. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to package up these fixes
> and submit them back to the SIG yet.

I consider this a bug in DOM, not the implementation.  Certainly, the current
behavior of the Python DOMs is fully conformant.  We've been through this
dance before.  Basically, as the DOM itself sternly warns: you don't mix NS
and non-NS DOM usage unless you want trouble.

I'm not sure that I'd be willing to support any "fixes" that basically hack
around this DOM confusion.