[XML-SIG] building XML docs using ?

29 May 2001 09:14:45 +0200

(I've been at XML Europe, and so didn't see your response until now.)

* Uche Ogbuji

| Why not?  Because most XML handling tools are not very scalable,
| XSLT being the foremost example.

That is true, but it still doesn't mean that there is something wrong
with documents that are 100MB in size, just that there is something
wrong with part of the tool set. The other part of the tool set will
handle this just fine.

I've been working with things like encyclopedias needing to be
imported into CMSs as well as turning the Open Directory Project data
into a topic map, and in these cases the documents naturally become
very big.

Processing these documents using SAX was no problem at all, although
it admittedly took a while. In fact, an event-based representation was
quite natural for these applications, though I admit that this will
not apply to all applications.

| Also because XML eliminates the need, which I think quite
| unneccesary, of storing mountains of data in a single file.
| Inclusion, transclusion, other linking mechanisms, and many tools
| are available for breaking XML into manageable packets.

Packets of 100MB are quite manageable with the right tools.

| Opinion of others might vary, of course.

It does. :-)

--Lars M.