[XML-SIG] building XML docs using ?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 11:09:28 -0600

> * Uche Ogbuji
> |
> | I can guarantee you you want nothing to do with XML files in the
> | hundreds of MB.  You don't even want them in the MB, period.
>
> Why ever not? I've worked with lots of XML files of that size over the
> last years and see nothing wrong with that. If the amount of data you
> need to move around or work with is large, then your XML documents
> will be large.
>
> I see no reason why this should be considered somehow suspect or wrong.
> If you use SAX there is really no reason why you shouldn't be able to
> handle such documents.

Why not?  Because most XML handling tools are not very scalable, XSLT being
the foremost example.

Also because XML eliminates the need, which I think quite unneccesary, of
storing mountains of data in a single file.  Inclusion, transclusion, other
linking mechanisms, and many tools are available for breaking XML into
manageable packets.

So, in my opionion, it's suspect *and* wrong to be dealing with 100MB XML
files.  Opinion of others might vary, of course.