[XML-SIG] Preparing for PyXML 0.6.5

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:43:49 +0100

>   I'm the Debian maintainer of the PyXML package and I'm working on
>   packaging 4Suite for Debian (BTW, do you agree with it?). So, I have
>   to remove PyXML and 4DOM sections as they are provided by the PyXML
>   package (4Suite depends on PyXML) and I was wondering whether I'd
>   have to remove more and more components :-)

At the moment, you have two options:

a) you can declare PyXML as a prerequisite of 4Suite; in that case,
   I'd appreciate if you'd restrict to released versions of PyXML only
   - no matter how broken they are.

b) you can declare PyXML and 4Suite to be conflicting packages (don't
   know whether this is possible in Debian packaging); your 4Suite
   package would then incorporate a copy of PyXML. If you follow this
   route, you can chose whatever state of PyXML that is useful; just
   make sure that either PyXML or 4Suite properly supercedes any
   Python 2 package that might be also available (but I know that
   Debian refuses to offer Python 2 for political reasons)

Regards,
Martin

P.S. No, I don't mean to start a flame war on licensing :-) Python
licensing will hopefully sort out with 2.1.